Incoming Exchange Students
Each year, the University of Utah hosts exchange students from our international partner institutions for one semester or for a full year. Only students who are currently studying at one of our partner institutions are eligible for this program. A list of current exchange partners is available on our website.
Students who would like to attend the U and earn academic credits should review the following information before submitting an application:
Step 1: Official Nomination
Students: Contact your international office to determine if an exchange partnership exists between your home institution and the University of Utah. You must be nominated as an exchange student before you are eligible to apply. You should also discuss whether or not studying at the University of Utah is a good fit for your academic and professional goals.
Exchange Coordinators: Please speak with your student about the application process and requirements for participation at your institution. We also recommend confirming that the student will be able to meet the admissions requirements for University of Utah exchange students. Once you are prepared to nominate the student, contact the Exchange Team via email to confirm the number of exchange spaces available and to nominate student(s) each semester. Please provide the name(s) of the student(s) you wish to nominate as well as their email address, gender, major/intended area of study, date of birth (in Month/Day/Year format), and the intended term of study.
- Fall Semester and Full-Year: March 1st
- Spring Semester: August 15th
Step 2: Prepare Your Application and Supporting Documents
Nominated students scan and upload following into their online application (paper applications will no longer be accepted):
- SCAN OF OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS
- Learning Abroad requires a digital copy of your official transcripts from all institutions you have attended. Official transcripts do NOT need to be translated.
- COLOR PASSPORT COPY
- Learning Abroad requires a color scan of both the signature and photo pages of your passport.
- RECENT ( 2 YEARS) ENGLISH LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY COPY
- MINIMUM scores: TOEFL 80 iBT (550 pBT) or IELTS band score of 6.5
- You must provide the official score report
- Check to see if you are eligible for an English proficiency waiver
- SOURCE AND PROOF OF FINANCES of $9,510.00 per semester of stay (Amount is subject to change for the 2016-17 academic year)
- If the student is financially supporting themselves, include an official bank statement with the student’s name on the account (online print copies of account information will NOT be accepted)
- If the student has a financial sponsor, include the sponsor’s bank statement with the financial sponsor’s name on the account, as well as the Affidavit of Support from the Office of Admissions.
Students: In addition to uploading these materials, your application also includes questionnaires signature documents. Please ensure that your application is complete before the application deadline. We cannot guarantee that late applicants will be accepted to the University.
Exchange Coordinators: Please ensure that all applications are complete prior to the application deadline. We cannot guarantee that late applicants will be accepted to the University.
- Fall Semester and Full-Year: April 1st
- Spring Semester: September 15th
Step 3: Prepare for Your Exchange Student Experience
Once accepted into the University of Utah, the Exchange Team will email/mail the the student(s) important information about completing the online housing application, registering for classes, arriving in Salt Lake City, etc.
Review additional information about the University of Utah by browsing the additional tabs provided on this page. Additionally, you may direct any questions to the Exchange Team.