Learning Abroad Contests
This festival is open to returned study abroad students and to international and exchange students at the University of Utah.
Please create a short film (3-15 minutes) on your international experience and what it means to you. It can include footage, text, photos, audio, etc. Be creative!
Friday, October 20th, 2017
Location & Date: Coming Soon!
- Adhere to the Learning Abroad Submission Guidelines
- Use images that are your own and music that is obtained legally (ie royalty-free, giving credit to the artist)
- Submit your video on a flash drive to Union 159 AND email email@example.com with a link to your video on either YouTube or Vimeo
- Save your video title in the following format: UID_movietitle - For example: U0223356_MyTimeAbroad
- Footage should be 3-15 minutes and preferably be m4v.
The Spring Fair will display Learning Abroad student photos. This is a great opportunity to share your adventures with other students.
January 13, 2017
- Capturing Culture
- Open a window into your host country's unique culture through images of art, dance, food, festivals, sport, and everyday life!
- Flash the U and/or highlight your U of U spirit in a unique way by showing the face of UtahAbroad students.
- Spectacular Scenery
- Share the beauty of the of the city or countryside of your host country by capturing beautiful mountains, historic landmarks, etc.
- Wild Card
- The last category is for those photos that simply don’t fit the above themes.
- Entrants can submit up to four photos, no more than two per theme
- Save each photo as yourlastname_phototheme.tif
- The photo must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org as a TIFF file
- Email format:
- Subject: Photo Contest 2017
- Entrant Information
- Learning Abroad Program
- For each photo submitted, include:
- City, Country
- Short description (75 words or less)
- High quality photos
- Resolution: 300dpi. or 3264x2448 or 8 megapixels
- File Type:TIFF
Learning abroad will display the Category Winners’ photos at the 2017 Learning Abroad Spring Fair, where students will have a chance to vote for the best in show.
- The Overall Winner (AKA “best in show”) will receive a frame backpack.
- Category Winners will receive a large, poster-sized print of their photograph
Each Wednesday, we will be selecting a weekly winner based on the Instagram Challenge hashtags. Weekly winners will then be entered as finalists to win a GoPro for the best Instagram photo from the summer
May - August
- Weekly Winners: Learning Abroad Swag Bag
- Facebook Vote Winner: GoPro Camera
- Committee Choice: Fujifilm Polaroid Camera
- Participate in a Learning Abroad program
- Follow us on Instagram @utahabroad
- Upload a photo to Instagram with an official Instagram ChallengehashtagAND #utahabroad. You must use both #UtahAbroad AND an Instagram Challenge hashtag to be considered.
That's it! There is no limit to the number of photos that you submit each week or the number of times you can be selected as a weekly winner!
May the filters be ever in your favor...
- One of the best parts about visiting another country is trying all of the amazing food! Show us the local delicacies in your area-- and remember to be creative!
- Show us the sites of the local area! This can include the natural landscape or the man-made monuments-- as long as you #GoOutside to capture the moment!
- Show us your Utah pride by flashing the "U" !
- We want to see movement! This can be a video of local musicians, a picture of you doing a crazy dance move, an image that captures an aspect of the local culture... the possibilities are endless!
- What is everyday life like on your program? What are some of the local traditions, fashion, food, markets, events, etc.?
- We want to see how you’re engaging with your local community! This can include community service, community events, sports and clubs, or any way you choose to get involved with the locals!
- Show us what you're learning! This can a photo of your campus, a project you're working on, a group excursion, or any other educational opportunity. Be creative!
- We want to see how your host country communicates! This can include written language, art expression, or any other form of communication!
Guidelines for Photos, Video, & Social Media Submissions
- Students must have participated on a Learning Abroad program within one calendar year prior to the contest submission deadline
- All participants must adhere to the the Learning Abroad: Acknowledgement of Student Responsibilities Agreement and Learning Abroad: Statement of Understanding and Agreement Signature Documents in your Learning Abroad Application.
- Eligible students may participate in more than one contest in the same year
- All entries must represent the original work and content of the student
- Submissions must adhere to the rules and regulations of the individual contest
- Material is open to your imagination, but must be G or PG rated for all audiences
- Culturally insensitive material or material containing nudity, drinking, swearing, or illegal behavior may NOT be used
- Entrants must obtain proper permission from subjects (please note: photos of small children are often culturally inappropriate)
- Material should align with the University of Utah Student Code of Conduct
- Authentic photos and footage are considered more competitive (please consider this before altering submissions, except for the Instagram Challenge)
- By submitting content to a Learning Abroad Contest, students are subject to the in your Learning Abroad Application
- Ability to follow the contest theme
- Adherence to the submission guidelines for eligibility, content, and technical specifications
- Technical Ability
- Overall Impact
Please note: Learning Abroad reserves the right to cancel any contest due to low participation.