Learning Abroad Contests
Every month, new followers of the Learning Abroad snapchat account UtahAbroad, will be entered into a raffle to win a $10 Starbucks gift card!
May - August
- Weekly Winners: Learning Abroad Swag Bag
- Facebook Vote Winner: GoPro Camera
- Committee Choice: Fujifilm Polaroid Camera
- Participate in a Learning Abroad program
- Follow us on Instagram @utahabroad
- Upload a photo to Instagram and tag our @utahabroad account.
That's it! There is no limit to the number of photos that you submit each week or the number of times you can be selected as a weekly winner!
Tips for getting your photo selected:
- Submit a variety of content
- Landscapes are great, but learning abroad is about the student experience. We would love to see U abroad!
- Show your school spirit
- Wear your U gear, flash the U, etc.
- Show us what you're doing and learning on your program
- Photos in the classroom, on excursions, in an internship site, with your host family, etc.
- Students engaging in our Global U badge content (e.g., Community Engagement, Career Development, Language Immersion, Research Experience)
- Take a look at other students' submissions, how can you make your photos stand out?
- Make sure your photos are well composed (rule of threes), in focus, and well lit.
This contest is open to returned learning abroad students and to international and exchange students at the University of Utah.
Please create a short video (3-15 minutes) on your international experience and what it means to you. It can include footage, text, photos, audio, etc. Be creative!
A viewing for your submissions will be held in November.
- Use images that are your own and music that is obtained legally (i.e., royalty-free, giving credit to the artist)
- Save your video title in the following format: UID_movietitle - For example: U0223356_MyTimeAbroad
- Submit your video by uploading it to https://box.utah.edu/ AND either YouTube or Vimeo. Email the box link and video-sharing website link to email@example.com.
- You can also submit your video on a flash drive to Union 159
- Footage should be 3-15 minutes and preferably be m4v.
Each spring, Learning Abroad holds a photo contest that highlights the experiences of students on Learning Abroad programs.
- Capturing Culture
- Submit a photo of yourself engaging with your host country's unique culture through enjoying art, dance, food, festivals, sports, and everyday life!
- Utah Abroad
- Share a photo of yourself or others showing U of U spirit, like flashing the U, abroad!
- 50th Anniversary Throwback
- Share photos from programs that occurred prior to 2008. Note: you don’t have to be the photographer to submit these photos, but you do need permission from the photographer to submit the photo into the contest.
- Wild Card
- The last category is for those photos that simply don’t fit the above themes.
- Submissions must be:
- High quality photos:
- Your file size should be no less than 2500 kilobytes or 2.5 Megabytes
- Your image resolution should be no less than: 300 DPI or 3264x2448 pixels
- File Type: JPEG
- In compliance with the Guidelines for Photos, Video, & Social Media Submissions outlined below
- Entrants can submit up to four photos, no more than two per theme
- Save each photo as yourlastname_phototheme.jpg
- Example: smith_cultureandtradition.jpg
- Example: ni_utahabroad.jpg
- The photo must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org as a JPEG file
- Email format:
- Subject: Photo Contest 2019
- Entrant Information
- Learning Abroad Program
- For each photo submitted, include:
- Category (Capturing Culture, Utah Abroad, 50th Anniversary Throwback, or Wildcard)
- City, country where photo was taken
- Semester and year photo was taken
- Short description (75 words or less)
A committee in Learning Abroad will select a finalist from each category. The four finalist images will be professionally printed and displayed at the Spring Learning Abroad Fair, where event participants will have a chance to vote in our people’s choice vote.
- The Overall Winner (AKA “people’s choice”) will receive a frame backpack.
- Category Winners will receive a large, poster-sized print of their photograph
Guidelines for Photos, Video, & Social Media Submissions
- Students must have participated on a Learning Abroad program within one calendar year prior to the contest submission deadline
- All participants must adhere to the the Learning Abroad: Acknowledgement of Student Responsibilities Agreement and Learning Abroad: Statement of Understanding and Agreement Signature Documents in your Learning Abroad Application.
- Eligible students may participate in more than one contest in the same year
- All entries must represent the original work and content of the student
- Submissions must adhere to the rules and regulations of the individual contest
- Material is open to your imagination, but must be G or PG rated for all audiences
- Culturally insensitive material or material containing nudity, drinking, swearing, or illegal behavior may NOT be used
- Entrants must obtain proper permission from subjects (please note: photos of small children are often culturally inappropriate)
- Material should align with the University of Utah Student Code of Conduct
- Authentic photos and footage are considered more competitive (please consider this before altering submissions, except for the Instagram Challenge)
- By submitting content to a Learning Abroad Contest, students are subject to the in your Learning Abroad Application
- Ability to follow the contest theme
- Adherence to the submission guidelines for eligibility, content, and technical specifications
- Technical Ability
- Overall Impact
Please note: Learning Abroad reserves the right to cancel any contest due to low participation.