Learning Abroad Contests
May - August
- Weekly Winners: Learning Abroad Swag Bag
- Facebook Vote Winner: GoPro Camera
- Committee Choice: Fujifilm Polaroid Camera
- Participate in a Learning Abroad program
- Follow us on Instagram @utahabroad
- Upload a photo to Instagram and tag our @utahabroad account.
That's it! There is no limit to the number of photos that you submit each week or the number of times you can be selected as a weekly winner!
Tips for getting your photo selected:
- Submit a variety of content
- Landscapes are great, but learning abroad is about the student experience. We would love to see U abroad!
- Show your school spirit
- Wear your U gear, flash the U, etc.
- Show us what you're doing and learning on your program
- Photos in the classroom, on excursions, in an internship site, with your host family, etc.
- Students engaging in our Global U badge content (e.g., Community Engagement, Career Development, Language Immersion, Research Experience)
- Take a look at other students' submissions, how can you make your photos stand out?
- Make sure your photos are well composed (rule of threes), in focus, and well lit.
Each spring, Learning Abroad holds a photo contest that highlights the experiences of students on Learning Abroad programs.
Friday, January 11, 2019
- Capturing Culture
- Submit a photo of yourself engaging with your host country's unique culture through enjoying art, dance, food, festivals, sports, and everyday life!
- Utah Abroad
- Share a photo of yourself or others showing U of U spirit, like flashing the U or wearing Utah gear, abroad!
- Send us a photo of yourself in front of a landmark during your Program. Show us where you went with this recognizable feature from your travels, but make sure that you are in the picture with it!
- Wild Card
- The last category is for those photos that simply don’t fit the above themes.
- Submissions must be:
- High quality photos:
- Your file size should be no less than 2500 kilobytes or 2.5 Megabytes
- Your image resolution should be no less than: 300 DPI or 3264x2448 pixels
- File Type: JPEG
- In compliance with the Guidelines for Photos, Video, & Social Media Submissions outlined below
- Entrants can submit up to four photos, no more than two per theme
- Save each photo as yourlastname_phototheme.jpg
- Example: smith_cultureandtradition.jpg
- Example: ni_utahabroad.jpg
- The photo must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org as a JPEG file
- Email format:
- Subject: Photo Contest 2019
- Entrant Information
- Learning Abroad Program
- For each photo submitted, include:
- Category (Capturing Culture, Utah Abroad, 50th Anniversary Throwback, or Wildcard)
- City, country where photo was taken
- Semester and year photo was taken
- Short description (75 words or less)
A committee in Learning Abroad will select a finalist from each category. The four finalist images will be professionally printed and displayed at the Spring Learning Abroad Fair, where event participants will have a chance to vote in our people’s choice vote.
- The Overall Winner (AKA “people’s choice”) will receive a frame backpack.
- Category Winners will receive a large, poster-sized print of their photograph
Guidelines for Photos, Video, & Social Media Submissions
- Students must have participated on a Learning Abroad program within one calendar year prior to the contest submission deadline
- All participants must adhere to the the Learning Abroad: Acknowledgement of Student Responsibilities Agreement and Learning Abroad: Statement of Understanding and Agreement Signature Documents in your Learning Abroad Application.
- Eligible students may participate in more than one contest in the same year
- All entries must represent the original work and content of the student
- Submissions must adhere to the rules and regulations of the individual contest
- Material is open to your imagination, but must be G or PG rated for all audiences
- Culturally insensitive material or material containing nudity, drinking, swearing, or illegal behavior may NOT be used
- Entrants must obtain proper permission from subjects (please note: photos of small children are often culturally inappropriate)
- Material should align with the University of Utah Student Code of Conduct
- Authentic photos and footage are considered more competitive (please consider this before altering submissions, except for the Instagram Challenge)
- By submitting content to a Learning Abroad Contest, students are subject to the in your Learning Abroad Application
- Ability to follow the contest theme
- Adherence to the submission guidelines for eligibility, content, and technical specifications
- Technical Ability
- Overall Impact
Please note: Learning Abroad reserves the right to cancel any contest due to low participation.