Skip to content

Travel Logistics

 Quick Links:

Passports & Entry Requirements


Non-U.S. Citizens or Travelers without a U.S. Passport

Changes to Program Activities, Course Offerings, and Itineraries

Flights, Luggage and Carryon Baggage

Preparing for Flight Delays

Airport Security, Immigration, & Customs

Program Housing

Host Families

Acquiring Independent Housing

Non-Participant Travel with Learning Abroad Programs

Independent Travel

Road Rules Abroad

Communicating Home

Sustainability Abroad

How to Pack

Passports & Entry Requirements

You must have a passport. Details about passports are found below.  Passport fees, deadlines, and application processes are not controlled by the University of Utah and are subject to change at any time.  Visit the websites below for the most up-to-date information.

Main Campus Students

 U Asia Campus Students
Passport Application or Renewal Forms & Instructions
Where to Apply If your passport has already expired or if you are applying for a first passport, you can complete the forms online and take them to the appropriate office using the instructions on the form.  Passport renewal forms can be completed online and then mailed in by the traveler. Passport applications and renewals are submitted in person at a local administrative office.  A list of offices in Incheon is available.
Passport Application or Renewal Timeline

2 months for a new passport

1 month for a renewed passport
1 month for new and renewed passports
Passports for Visa Applications

You must have a passport before you apply for a visa.  If you need a visa, you should apply for or renew your passport immediately.  Visa processing can take several weeks or months. 

Required Passport Criteria
  • Must be valid for at least six (6) months BEYOND your expected return date. Airlines and immigration officials check the expiration date of your passport.  U of U students have been denied entry to their host country or prevented from boarding their flights because of the expiration date of their passports.
  • Must not be damaged
  • Must be signed in the appropriate place
  • Must have blank spaces for immigration stamps 
Student Responsibilities
  • Upload a copy of your passport in the post-decision steps of your U of U Application (This is for emergency use only).
  • Ensure that your passport meets the required passport criteria. Our staff will not verify that your passport meets the requirements for international travel before departure.
  • You are responsible for obtaining a passport before your expected departure date. If your passport will not arrive before departure or early enough to get a visa, it is you responsibility to expedite it.
  • You must have a passport before you apply for a visa.  If you need a visa, you should apply for or renew your passport immediately. 
  • You may have to mail your passport to an embassy or consulate in order to get a visa. If you have scheduled any international travel before your Program, make sure that you apply for a visa early enough to receive your passport back from the consulate before traveling. 
  • If you can’t participate in your Program due to passport issues, you will be subject to the Withdrawal & Dismissal Penalty Policy. You are responsible for any expenses incurred as a result of passport issues.
Meet any additional entry requirements for your host country(ies). Examples include, but are not limited to, immunizations records and proof of funds.  Contact the embassy or consulate of the country that you will visit for more information.



In the post-decision application steps, you are required to upload a copy of your passport. This is for emergency use only. Our staff will not verify that your passport meets the requirements for international travel before departure. It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that their passport meets the criteria outlined above.


What is a visa?

A visa is official permission to enter and remain in another country. A visa is typically a stamp or sticker placed in your passport.

Will the University get my visa for me?

IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO DETERMINE IF YOU NEED A VISA AND ACQUIRE THE APPROPRIATE VISA. THE UNIVERSITY DOES NOT OBTAIN A VISA FOR YOU.  The University of Utah is not responsible for establishing visa requirements or granting student visas. Visa requirements, fees, procedures, and required documentation are established and enforced by the host country. Final decisions on whether or not a visa is granted are made by government of the country you are visiting. Requirements, fees, and processes are subject to change at any time.

Does everyone need a visa?

No.  Some destinations and programs do not require a visa.

Can’t I just enter my host country on a tourist visa?

As a student, you may not be eligible for a tourist visa. Global Interns may not be eligible for tourist or student visas depending on the laws of the host country.  Contact your Affiliate, Internship Sponsor, or your Host Institution for more information about visa requirements for Global Interns.

Where can I find visa information for my host country?

Contact the embassy or consulate of the country that you will visit.  U.S. citizens can consult the U.S. Department of State.  Korean citizens can refer to the information provided by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs

How long does it take to get a visa?

Obtaining a visa can be a very long process.  Plan ahead so that you have enough time to complete the process before your Program begins.

Do I need a passport to get a visa?

Yes!  You must have a passport before you can apply for a visa!

Do you have any tips for applying for visas?

The following tips will help you:

  • Plan ahead.
  • Follow directions EXACTLY.
  • Send in all of your materials at the same time.
  • Make sure that your passport meets the required passport criteria before submitting a visa application.

What should I do after I receive my visa?

If your visa is not correct, the airline may prevent you from boarding the plane and immigration officials may refuse to let you enter the host country. After you have received your visa, take the following steps:

  1. Check the stamp or sticker to make sure that the information listed—such as names, dates, locations, and the type of visa—is correct.
  2. Contact the consulate or embassy that issued your visa.  Final decisions about correcting visas are made by the host country.  You should also notify Learning Abroad and your Faculty Director.

What happens if I can’t get a visa for my Program?

You will be held to the Withdrawl Penalty Policy if you:

  • Do not obtain the proper visa
  • Are denied a visa to the host country
  • Cannot enter the host country
  • Are prevented from boarding your flight

You are responsible for any expenses incurred as a result of visa and entry requirement issues.

Are there companies that can help me get a visa?

Yes.  These organizations will charge a fee for this service. The University of Utah does not endorse any of these agencies; however, we can provide a list of local agencies that provide these services. 

Non-U.S. Citizens or Travelers without a U.S.-American Passport

Students who are not U.S. citizens or will not be traveling with an U.S.-American passport need to use extra caution when planning for a Learning Abroad Program. Before applying, we recommend that you consider that following:

  1. Does your passport meet the established criteria for travel? If not, it is your responsibility to contact your home country embassy or consulate and renew your passport.
  2. Do you need a visa to enter the host country? Your U.S. visa does not allow you to enter another country. It is your responsibility to determine if you need a visa to participate in your program. Learning Abroad does not get visas for students. To find out what the process is for getting a visa for your host country, contact the nearest embassy or consulate. 
  3. Will you have to demonstrate that you can re-enter the United States? Students are often required to prove that they can re-enter the United States after their program. If this is the case, you may need to renew your U.S. visa before you can apply for a visa to the host country. It is your responsibility to plan ahead and make the necessary arrangements to renew your U.S. visa before applying for a visa to your host country.
  4. Will you be able to return to the U.S. after your program? In addition to obtaining a visa to visit the host country, you may need to meet certain requirements to re-enter the United States. For information on these requirements, contact the International Student and Scholar Services at 801-581-6388 or visit their offices in room 410 of the Union.
  5. Will you be traveling before your program? You are required to temporarily surrender your passport in order to obtain a visa for your host country. If you have scheduled any international travel before your program, make sure that you apply for a visa early enough to receive your passport back from the consulate before traveling. 
  6. Do you need to acquire a different form of ID? If you are required to visit an embassy or consulate in the United States to obtain a visa for your program, be sure to take your driver’s license with you. You will be required to leave your passport at the consulate or embassy and you may need identification to fly home or drive back to Salt Lake City.  

Changes to Program Activities, Course Offerings, and Itineraries

Your program itinerary is similar to a syllabus. The exact details of a syllabus are changed throughout the semester due to unforeseen circumstances.  Similarly, international travel is full of unexpected challenges.  Good travelers are prepared to be flexible and adapt to changes in the environment. 

The University of Utah makes every attempt to implement Programs as planned.  However, there may be unanticipated conditions that require us to change a Program’s itinerary or planned activities.  Such circumstances include, but are not limited to:

  • Budget constraints
  • Program enrollments
  • Weather
  • Safety or health concerns
  • Conditions within the host country
  • Changes in host organizations

The University will make every effort to avoid these situations.  In the event that changes are unavoidable, we will transparently communicate them to you in a timely manner.  If a change must be made to planned activities, course offerings, or itineraries, we will make every reasonable effort to provide an equal or comparable experience for you.  If the University determines that the goals of the program are sufficiently satisfied through the available alternatives, no requests for refunds will be considered.

Flights, Luggage, and Carry-on Baggage

You will submit your travel plans in the post-decision steps of your U of U Application.  Flight and arrival procedures vary by Program.  Unless flights are covered in the Billable Program Cost, the University will not reimburse you for costs associated with flights if the Program is cancelled.  If you have concerns about flight cancellations or Program withdrawals, you should purchase trip insurance.  Before purchasing a flight, read the following information carefully.

Program Type Flight Instructions
Exchange, Global Internship, and Affiliate Programs

Do not purchase a flight until after you:

  • Commit to your Program in your U of U Application


  • Receive an acceptance letter from the Host Institution, Affiliate, or the Hinckley Institute.
  • **Hinckley Global Interns should NOT purchase a flight before the Health Clearance Form is submitted by their healthcare provider.**
Faculty-led Programs

Faculty-led Programs require a minimum number of participants to run.  Do not purchase a flight until:

  • You commit to your Program in your U of U Application


  • Your Faculty Director confirms that your Program will run.
TATE Programs

Do not purchase a flight until:

  • You receive instructions from the course instructor


You commit to your Program in the U of U Application.
Global Campus Programs Do not purchase a flight until after you commit to your Program in the U of U Application.

Before purchasing a flight, get the following information from your Faculty Director, Host Institution, Affiliate, or the Hinckley Institute:

  1. Which airport should you arrive at?
  2. Where should you meet your group or how should you get to your Program location?
  3. When should you arrive? If you will be checking into your housing immediately, find out what the timeframe is for checking in.
  4. What should you do if your flight is delayed or canceled?

Most airlines impose restrictions on luggage weight and size, and many charge fees for checked luggage. For details on luggage restrictions, contact your airline. Use the following tips to guide your packing:

  • Limit yourself to one piece of luggage and one carry-on.  
  • Know current carry-on regulations for size and contents.europe luggage
  • Consider using a suitcase on wheels or a backpack. 
  • Pack only what you can carry. You may have to carry your luggage between the airport and ground transportation hubs.
  • Label your luggage inside and out.  
  • Never leave bags unattended; they could be stolen or seized by airport authorities.  
  • Pack important items in your carry-on luggage.

Preparing for Flight Delays

Flight delays are common, especially if you fly stand-by.  Many airlines will provide e-mail or text message updates about flight delays.  Contact your airline to sign up for updates.  The following tips will help you during a flight delay:

  • Be patient and follow the instructions provided by airline
  • Communicate changes to your Faculty Director, Host Institution, Affiliate, and family members. You can also call the U’s 24/7 Emergency Phone Number.
  • Carry necessities and important documents in your carry-on luggage

The University has no control over flight delays or cancellations.  Costs and arrangements related to delays or flight cancellations are your responsibility including transportation, extra lodging, food, etc.  If you arrive late for your Program, you will not be reimbursed for any missed activities and Faculty are not obligated to let you to make up missed work or assignments.  The University insurance policy may provide some financial assistance for trip disruption.  Contact CISI for more information. 

Airport Security, Immigration, & Customs

Airport security is tight worldwide.  It is common to see armed security guards and police dogs in an airport. You should budget extra time to go through security checks at all airports. A description of common airport security procedures can be found online.

Upon arrival in your host country, you will go through Immigration Control and Customs.  You may also be asked for certain documents.  A list of recommended documents to be packed in your carry-on luggage is found in packing section.  You may also be required to open your luggage for inspection. 

Immigration and Customs Officers often ask questions.  Answer questions confidently and honestly.  Common questions include, but are not limited to:

Officials Common Questions
Immigration Officers
  • How long will you be in the country?
  • What is your purpose for being here?
  • Where will you be staying?
  • Where have you recently traveled?
Customs Agents>
  • Are your bringing food into the country?
  • Have you been in contact with animals?
  • Do you have any plants in your luggage?
  • Are you carrying commercial goods (items to sell)?

Program Housing 

The housing facilities for your Program are listed in the Fact Sheet found on the Program website.   Housing facilities and billing varies by Program.  The information below outlines the structure of Program housing.

If housing is part of the Billable Program Costs If housing is listed in the Non-billable Program Costs
  • You are required to stay in Program housing. 
  • Some Programs allow you to choose between housing options.  After choose your housing, you may not be able to change it.  If changes are made to your housing, you may incur additional costs and fees. 
  • You will have access to the housing facility during the official Program dates.
  • Information on host families can be found below.


  • If housing is available through your Program, you are required to stay in Program housing.
  • Contact your Affiliate or Host institution for information on housing options.
  • You are subject to rules, application and payment processes, refund schedules, timelines, and terms of the housing provider.
  • Confirm when can you check in and when you have to check out before making travel plans.
  • If housing is not available through your Program, see the information for Acquiring Independent Housing.

Regardless of your housing, type, you should prepare for the following:

  • Learning Abroad makes every effort to provide gender inclusive housing options. Students who need special accommodation due to gender identity/expression should contact Learning Abroad for assistance. 
  • Facilities vary greatly.  Rooms are typically very modest and small.  They may not provide towels, linens, and other common amenities. 
  • Housing facilities may not have cable or Wi-Fi.  If internet is available, expect to have limited access to this service in your housing. You may need to find an internet café or computer lab to use programs such as Skype, Facetime, or social media. 
  • Expect to share living space, bathrooms, and cooking facilities with other participants. Most Programs require students to have roommates. 
  • Before making flight or arrival arrangements, find out what the timeframe is for checking in.
  • The University does not make housing reservations for independent travel. If you arrive early or stay later than your housing facility allows, it is your responsibility to make extra reservations and pay for those accommodations. 
  • If you arrive before or stay after your Program housing reservation, it is your responsibility to make and pay for extra housing arrangements.
  • You are subject to the rules and regulations of your housing facilities.  Some facilities enforce curfews, gender restricted areas, and noise regulations. 
  • Any property damages or fines that you incur during your Program are your responsibility.  Charges for damages or unpaid bills that are forwarded the University will be charged to your student account. Failure to pay these debts can result in a hold on your University account. 

Host Families

Staying with a host family is often one of the most culturally rich aspects of a Program.  The following tips will help you make the most of this opportunity:

  • You are a guest in the family’s home and a representative of the University of Utah.  You must be respectful of any family rules, customs, and practices. 
  • Adjusting to a host family may be challenging after you have lived on your own. 
  • Bring a small gift for your host family that represents your culture and background.
  • Be honest when filling out your housing forms. Host families are assigned based on the information you provide on the form. 
    • Preferences that aren’t listed will NOT be accommodated. For example, if you are not comfortable with small children or pets, indicate this on your housing form. 
    • Other common preferences include specific medical needs, allergies, or dietary restrictions.
  • In most cases, you won’t receive information about your host family in advance. While may make you nervous, it is common practice.   

Acquiring Independent Housing

If housing is available through your Program or included in the Billable Program Cost, you are required to use Program housing.  If housing is not available through your Program, it is your responsibility to identify, contract, and pay for onsite housing. You should expect to independently make these arrangements and fulfill your rental obligations.  The University is not responsible for helping students acquire independent housing.  Many Host Institutions and Affiliates do not provide these services either.  As you make arrangements, it is your responsibility to do the following:

  • Research your options and acquire independent housing
  • Negotiate with landlords or rental companies
  • Use the off-campus housing office at your Host Institution or Affiliate (if available)
  • Understand and meet the terms of the lease
  • Verify that the neighborhood is safe and that all doors and windows lock
  • Ensure that the facility is clean and meets minimum health standards
  • Verify that maintenance is available and free of charge
  • Know how to pay rent, utilities, and taxes (if applicable)
  • Insure the property appropriately

Keep in mind that these recommendations and action steps are not exhaustive.  If you are not comfortable making arrangements for independent housing, contact Learning Abroad or the Hinckley Institute.  We can connect you with opportunities that offer Program housing.

Dependent and Non-Participant Travel with Learning Abroad Programs

The University of Utah invites dependents over the age of 18 to participate in Programs.  Dependents can apply in two ways:

  1. Dependents currently attending the University of Utah can apply to the Program as regular participants.
  2. If your Program accepts non-U of U applicants, dependents who do not attend the University can apply online as well. Non-U of U applicants will need to complete additional application steps. We recommend that they start this process at least 4-6 weeks before the application deadline.

Learning Abroad and Global Internship Programs are formal, academic activities, and dependents are considered full participants of the Program. 

  • Your dependents must meet the eligibility requirements for the Program.
  • They enroll in courses, attend lectures, go on field trips, live in Program housing, share group meals, and receive a grade for the courses that they take.
  • They are held to the same standards as any other participant on the Program, including financial obligations.
  • Family housing is not available on all Programs.

Individuals who do not meet these criteria cannot participate in the Program.  As non-participants, they are prohibited from using any services associated with the Program such as, but not limited to, meals, housing facilities, classes, lectures, fieldtrips, transportation, etc.

Non-participants are welcome to visit you outside of the official Program dates.  If non-participants disrupt the Program, you will be dismissed from your Program and subject to the Withdrawal & Dismissal Penalties Policy.  You may also be subject to disciplinary action with the University of Utah Student Conduct Office.  In the event of an emergency, the University will not provide support for non-participant travelers.

Independent Travel 

Independent travel is defined as any personal travel or activity that is not a formal part of your Program.  If you are planning any independent travel, notify the Faculty Director, Hinckley Institute, or other onsite personnel, especially if you are leaving your host city.  Be aware of the following expectations:

  • Travel in groups of 2 or more for safety.
  • Independent travel is at your own expense and cannot conflict with the attendance policy.
  • The University of Utah is:
    • Not responsible for independent travel
    • Will not review or monitor your independent travel plans
    • Will not provide supplemental information or recommendations

Road Rules Abroad

You have several transportation options during your Program.  Some information about the options is found below.  A good travel guide will also provide information about public transportation, pedestrian etiquette, bicycle rental, and taxi services.

Vehicles & Taxis Pedestrian Etiquette Public Transportation & Bicycles

The leading cause of injury to travelers is traffic accidents. 

Driving practices and road signs vary abroad.  The University does NOT recommend driving abroad.  Information about traffic fatalities in your host country is provided in the World Health Organization’s Road Safety Map.  

Only use licensed, insured taxis.  Unofficial taxis may be less expensive, but their insurance and training varies. 

Pedestrian etiquette is different abroad.  The following will help you stay safe during your Program:

  1. Pedestrians may NOT have the right-of-way. Use caution when crossing the street. 
  2. Some cultures drive on the left-hand side of the road.  Look in ALL directions and use crosswalks to cross the street. 
  3. Hitchhiking is dangerous.  The University of Utah strongly discourages hitchhiking.

Public transportation is generally affordable. Most participants use public buses and trains on a regular basis.

Bicycles may be available to rent or buy.  Information about bike rental is usually found at train stations or tourist offices.  Wear safety equipment like helmets and knee/elbow pads for protection. 

Communicating Home

There are several ways to stay in touch with friends and family during your Program.  Using a U.S. cell phone abroad can be expensive.  U.S. data  charges for apps, text messages, and internet connections is extremely costly.  Consider other options for keeping in touch:

  • Take advantage of free Wi-Fi and use Skype or FaceTime to make calls.
  • Buy a local cell phone or SIM card when you arrive. These are usually “pay-as-you-go” and are often less expensive.  For landlines, purchase international calling cards through a phone company in your host country.
  • Some platforms and apps are banned or blocked in other countries. Research which apps are commonly used in your host country.

Know where free Wi-Fi is available and how to access it. 

  • Internet access is typically available in computer labs or internet cafés.
  • Don’t be afraid to disconnect. Being in constant contact may prevent you from making the most of the local culture. 
  • Friends and family members get worried if they don’t hear from you right away. Establish a communication plan in advance so that they know what to expect:
      • Teach them to use the application you plan to use before you leave.
      • Let them know that they won’t hear from you right away or every day. You may need a few days to get settled and buy a phone or SIM card.
      • Let them know that you’ll contact them once you’re settled. It may take a few days to find an internet connect and buy a phone or SIM card.


Sustainability Abroad

Sustainability efforts don’t need to stop when you learn abroad! We encourage you to consider the following throughout your planning process and experience abroad:

How to Pack

Packing is an art.  Follow the link below for tips to help you pack:

Electrical Appliances: Voltages and plugs are different abroad. A good travel guide will provide information on traveling with appliances. Voltage converters and plugs adapters can be purchased at retail stores and online. Converters and adapters aren't foolproof. If possible, purchase appliances in the host country. Before plugging in appliances, check the voltage information on the power cord.

Information on luggage can be found in the Flights, Arrival Instructions, and Luggage section.  Be sure to pack the following items in your carry-on luggage:

  • Your passport
  • A copy of the acceptance e-mail from Learning Abroad or the Hinckley Institute
  • A copy of the acceptance letter from your Host Institution or Affiliate (if applicable)
  • Your housing address in the host country
  • Your flight itinerary and airline phone number
  • Your vaccination records
  • Arrival instructions for your Program
  • One change of clothes
  • Over-the-clothes and prescription medications
  • Necessary toiletries
  • Emergency contact information
  • Snacks and a water bottle (empty until you clear security checks)
  • Reading or viewing material

Additional suggestions for packing your carry-on can be found in the Essential Carry-on Bag Packing List. The Ultimate Packing List website and Clown Car Packing video can also help with your packing needs. Be sure to tailor the lists to your specific Program and host country.

Last Updated: 7/12/22