Three types of scholarships are available to students:
- Office of Global Engagement (OGE): Also known as Learning Abroad scholarships.
- Departmental scholarships: Offered by academic departments on campus.
- Outside scholarship opportunities: Sponsored by various sources like affiliate partners, exchange partners, and scholarship search databases.
You can find more information on the scholarships main page here.
Learning Abroad strongly encourages all students to check in with the University Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid to see if their specific aid package can apply towards a Learning Abroad program.
While many students have used financial aid towards learning abroad in the past, it is important for each student to review their own personal award to see if it will apply. Financial Aid Counselors are specifically trained on advising for learning abroad who would be happy to help! https://financialaid.utah.edu/
Yes, OGE and Learning Abroad scholarships are the same thing. Learning Abroad is a part of the Office for Global Engagement (OGE), so OGE scholarships are selected and awarded to students by a Scholarship Committee within Learning Abroad.
Most students are eligible for some type of scholarship, so it is best to start searching for scholarships early!
- For Office for Global Engagement (OGE) scholarships, you can find eligibility requirements
- If your program is not offered through Learning Abroad or Hinckley, you are not eligible for Office for Global Engagement (OGE) scholarships.
Many scholarships have different eligibility requirements, so with proper planning, you can find one that you can use towards your program.
For our scholarships that accept applications, on average 1 out of 10 applicants is awarded.
One way to improve your chances of winning a scholarship through our office is to work with the University Writing Center. The Writing Center can help you better develop your ideas and argument, improve your clarity, and polish your style for a more competitive essay. For more information on University Writing Center services, visit: http://writingcenter.utah.edu/
OGE scholarship award amounts vary by the scholarship type and the length of the Learning Abroad Program. The award amounts range from $500-$3500.
For more information about the different OGE scholarships, please click here.
You can find out the deadlines for OGE scholarships here. All scholarship applications close at 11:59 pm on the deadline day. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted!
All students who have applied for an Office of Global Engagement (OGE) scholarship will be notified through their UMail account within 4-6 weeks following the Learning Abroad Scholarship Application deadline.
The award notification for outside scholarships from other resources (like departments on campus or online databases) may have different response times.
Office of Global Engagement (OGE) scholarships will typically appear in your CIS tuition account on the following timeline:
- Fall semester, full year, and fall break programs: Last week of August or the First week of September
- Winter break, spring semester, and spring break programs: Last week of January
- Summer programs: Last week of May
If you have been awarded a scholarship by another source, you should contact that provider on how and when your award will be disbursed to you.
Transferring a scholarship can be done under certain circumstances:
- If your program is cancelled by the U of U.
- If you transfer to a different program within the same term.
You should contact your Learning Abroad Coordinator if you plan on transferring the scholarship you have been awarded.
To pay for a University of Utah Learning Abroad Program (Faculty-Led, Global Campus, U of U exchange), you can make your payment:
- In person at the Cashier’s Window in the Student Services building,
- With a check.
If you have been awarded an OGE scholarship and it has not been applied to your student account yet, you should subtract the amount of your scholarship award from the balance due and pay that amount.
If you are participating in an affiliate program, please contact that affiliate for information on how to apply your scholarship to your program cost. Depending on your CIS settings, you will receive your OGE scholarship through direct deposit or by a check in the mail.
Please refer to the section of our handbook on residency for details: http://learningabroad.utah.edu/handbook/money.php#residency.