Each year, the University of Utah hosts exchange students from our international partner institutions for a semester or a full year. Only students who are currently studying at one of our partner institutions are eligible for this program. A list of current exchange partners is available on our website.
If you are a student seeking admission to the University of Utah as a degree seeking international student, please visit the websites for OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS - INTERNATIONAL and INTERNATIONAL STUDENT & SCHOLAR SERVICES.
Students who would like to attend the U and earn academic credits should review the following information before submitting an application:
Students: Contact your international office to determine if an exchange partnership exists between your home institution and the University of Utah. You must be nominated as an exchange student before you are eligible to apply. You should also discuss whether or not studying at the University of Utah is a good fit for your academic and professional goals.
Exchange Coordinators: Please speak with your student about the application process and requirements for participation at your institution. We also recommend confirming that the student will be able to meet the admissions requirements for University of Utah exchange students.
Once you are prepared to nominate the student, contact the Exchange Team via email to confirm the number of exchange spaces available. We will then send you a link via email to our online Student Nomination Form where you will submit a nomination. Please be prepared to provide the following information:
- First & Last Name
- Student Email
- Major/Intended Coursework
- Nominating University
- Nominating University Coordinator
- Nominating University Coordinator Email
- Fall Semester and Academic Year: March 1st
- Spring Semester and Calendar Year: August 15th
Nominated students scan and upload following into their online application (paper applications will no longer be accepted):
- SCAN OF OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS
- Learning Abroad requires a digital copy of your official transcripts from all institutions you have attended. Official transcripts do NOT need to be translated.
- COLOR PASSPORT COPY
- Learning Abroad requires a color scan of both the signature and photo pages of your passport.
- RECENT ( 2 YEARS) ENGLISH LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY COPY
- Required MINIMUM scores:
- TOEFL 80 iBT
- IELTS band score of 6.5
- DUOLINGO: 105 or higher
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE) score 54+
- Cambridge English: receipt of Certificate of Advanced English (CAE) or receipt of Certificate of Proficiency Exam (CPE)
- Common European Framework of Reference for Language (CEFR) score C1+
- You must provide the OFFICIAL score report
- English proficiency requirements details can be found on the website for the Office of Admissions - International.
- The following applicants do not need to submit proof of English proficiency:
- Native speakers of English who are passport holders of Australia, Canada (except Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, or the United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland).
- *NOTE* The PTE, CEFR, and Cambridge English are only allowed for Learning Abroad Incoming Exchange Students.
- University of Utah Office of Admissions does NOT accept "My Best Scores" from TOEFL iBT
- Required MINIMUM scores:
- SOURCE AND PROOF OF FINANCES of $8,362 .00 US per semester of stay (Amount is subject to change for the 2024-25 academic year)
- If the student is financially supporting themselves, include an official bank statement with the student’s name on the account (online print copies of account information will NOT be accepted
- If the student has a financial sponsor, include the sponsor’s bank statement with the financial sponsor’s name on the account, as well as the Affidavit of Support from the Office of Admissions.
- An overview of the financial support documentation requirements can be found in the "Financial Support Documents" policy guide on the International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) website. Additional information regarding this documentation is available upon request.
Students: In addition to uploading these materials, your application also includes questionnaires signature documents. Please ensure that your application is complete before the application deadline. We cannot guarantee that late applicants will be accepted to the University.
Exchange Coordinators: Please ensure that all applications are complete prior to the application deadline. We cannot guarantee that late applicants will be accepted to the University.
- Fall Semester and Academic Year: April 1st
- Spring Semester and Calendar Year: September 15th
Once accepted into the University of Utah, the Exchange Team will email/mail the the student(s) important information about completing the online housing application, registering for classes, arriving in Salt Lake City, etc.
Review additional information about the University of Utah by browsing the additional tabs provided on this page. Additionally, you may direct any questions to the Exchange Team.